Its old news that the UK Government set ambitious targets of awarding 33% of all public sector contracts to SMEs by 2020.
That 33% equates to over £21.3 BILLION worth of contracts each year awarded to SMEs in the UK alone. This presents a huge opportunity for aspiring Entrepreneurs to secure long term sustainable public sector contracts which can act as a foundation for significant organisational growth.
A lot of companies think they are too niche or too small to tender but this isn’t true. As long as you are established, have a good track record of delivery and a solid set of accounts (typically 2 years worth) you are in a strong position to tender.
Opportunities are hugely varied with services and products of all kinds procured. We have selected a few of the weird and wonderful ones below:
- Supply of an inflatable boat if anyone has one spare click this link
- Supply of Milk and bread anybody… You will need a big Milk float to supply Wolverhampton Hospital. click for detail
- Supply of over £6m worth of ‘Premium Colouring Pens’ this is not a joke- have a look click this link
- Conservation of Maritime Paintings??? for Hull City Council. Surely a real skill but rather niche click for details
- Weight Management and Personal Training in the East Midlands. click for detail
- Wigs and Associated products- over £9.5m worth! for the NHS. check this link
- An opportunity for communities to bid for funds to purchase their local pub!
More than a Pub is a unique three year programme established to help support community ownership of pubs in England and grow the range of services they offer to help local people. Its value is £3.85 million and is jointly funded by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and Power to Change.… So who’s buying a pub with me? https://www.plunkett.co.uk/more-than-a-pub
Whatever you are supplying, someone will be buying (if there are not you may need to give your business plan serious consideration e.g. chocolate fire guards are not fit for purpose)
Often the more niche the better as you have less competition in comparison to highly competitive markets such as cleaning, low value website design, security etc.
If you would like to explore opportunities in your sector please just get in touch and we will happily help you look for appropriate opportunities free of charge.
Thanks for reading
07877 700 701